Friday, October 28, 2011

Small change, big difference.

A year ago, I used to be wiped out at the end of a long day of constant meetings...one change made all the difference...can it work for other activities too?

There are certain days of the week where, for a variety of reasons, I have meetings solid from the moment I walk in the office until I shut down my computer in the evening.  These meetings are necessary and engaging, so my issue was not with the volume or the content, but primarily with the stamina and endurance it takes to stay that focused and "on" at a sustained intensity level for 8+ hours.

I am feeling similar demands during my current training for the Tough Mudder.  Doubts creep in...can I really keep this intensity and consistency up for 6 more months?  Yikes - I'm not going to answer that.

So I thought back to the meeting-energy-suck-situation of a year ago and realized, what I did there was effective...maybe I could do something similar in other areas of my life?

The strategy...

If a meeting was normally scheduled for an hour, then the goal was to do it in 50 minutes.  Everyone involved was focused on that goal and part of making it more efficient.  If it was a half hour meeting, I'd aim to chop off those last 5 minutes.  Productivity-wise, it may have even improved our efficiency by helping us maintain focus and have a small accomplishment to "celebrate" at the end of the meeting by hitting our time target.  The value added by having that "breather" between meetings, was tremendous.  The ability to stand up, walk around, see other people, other rooms...whatever...just the change of scenery and allowing for mental transition time between meetings, was more energizing than even I expected.  I'd end the day feeling strong and productive, rather than drained and flat.

So, can I find ways to do this in other aspects of my life, and even more specifically, physical activity training?  I think (hope) so.  One of the techniques recommended to me for endurance training was "always finish strong."  This way, you get your mind used to that feeling of strength when you're in the home stretch. 

I'm about to go out running and had planned on doing a solid 45 minute run (which I'm none too enthusiastic about right now).  Well, self, I'll make a deal with you...how about 40 minutes instead, with a good solid finish at minutes 38 & 39?  If 38 & 39 are positive, focused and strong, we're done.  If they're not...we're going for 45.  I like the idea of rewarding myself for attitude, focus and form (and not just slogging through the longevity because that's what I "said" I'd do).  For those "free" 5 minutes?...that'll be me doing the "I'm spent but I'm happy" dance in the grass next to the running track at McCarren Park in Brooklyn (and possibly checking out the guys playing soccer).  Be there at 5:59pm for the exciting conclusion and possible happy dance...

Happy dance?

2 comments:

  1. I just want to know if that is really you in that picture?

    Kidding aside, good solid advice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...not quite - I think the tags read "cute asian girl dancer"...but maybe someday... :-)

    And as for the run...BEST F'in RUN YET!!! I was like Rocky out there gettin' my Eye of the Tiger on. It was the kind of run that left me full of energy and wanting to come back for more tomorrow.

    And now to celebrate with friends and a beer at the pub down the road.

    p.s. My happy dance involves more rump shaking and less arm flailing than "cute asian girl dancer's"

    ReplyDelete